The Centre for Community Outreach and Care was established in April 2013 by the Child and Youth Care Department at Vancouver Island University. Our purpose is to provide enriched practical learning experiences for Child and Youth Care students through partnering with the local Harewood community to engage in child and family focused activities. Under the educational direction of faculty, student groups will complete any needed research, work with community partners to identify needs, as well as develop the parameters of agreed upon projects.
Centre Projects: 2017-2018
- Global Citizen Club
- Child/Youth Refugee Project
- The Chill Zone (Pleasant Valley, Rock City, Brechin)
- Family Night ((Pleasant Valley, Rock City, Brechin)
- Children Who Witness Overdose Trauma
- I Have a Dream (Georgia Ave & Raven's Lelum)
- Sanala Housing Community Development (formerly King Arthur's Court)
- Healthy Smile Healthy Kids click here for video
- Friday Night Lights
- Youth Sexual Exploitation Prevention
- Clement Courses Project
- Covenant House - I Have a Dream
For more information about the Centre, please contact our Centre Coordinator: Teri Derksen at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (250) 740-6131.